Archival and Genealogical Research
In an effort to bring renewed attention and interest to our archival collections and research materials, the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society welcomes research and inquiry requests.
Research in Person
If you visit the Crown Gardens & Archives History Center you are welcome to do your own self-guided research or, if you prefer, we will be glad to assist you in using our available archival collections and research materials. Research is free for members. If you intend to spend time with us it may be helpful if you would:
- Call ahead to schedule your visit.
- Let us know what materials or titles you are interested in. If you do not have specific information, please let us know what you are researching so we can prepare appropriate materials for your visit.
- Photography is allowed in certain instances. Please ask a staff member before taking any photographs.
- Self-directed research may include a brief orientation of material location/usage.
Research by Mail
If you are unable to research in person, you may request research or images from the History Center via mail. Please make all requests in writing and include a check or money order (payable to the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society) for all applicable fees. Please send your written request, including all pertinent information described below, and payment to:
Whitfield-Murray Historical Society
P.O. Box 6180
Dalton, GA 30722
Or email us at : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that genealogical inquires and (some others) are typically not accepted over the phone because the information often becomes jumbled and confusing. For those inquiries, please write or email us. Research is done on a time available basis, and is free for members of Whitfield-Murray Historical Society. Non-members, please contact us for information regarding fees and membership.
In order to expedite your request and to prevent repetition, please include the following when inquiring:
Your name, address, phone number and/or email address
- What you hope to find.
- Specific names, dates, locations, etc. (if known).
- List of sources already consulted.