Open for special occasions and events. Please check Facebook and this web site for opening announcements.
Chair: Chuck Smith
Spring Place Community Festival is August 15
The 23rd annual Spring Place Community Festival set for Saturday, August 15 at the Old Spring Place Methodist Church.
A used book sale, breakfast biscuits, a bake sale, an indoor/outdoor flea market, and other activities will begin at 8 a.m. Highlighting the day is the auction including artist prints, collectibles and historical memorabilia, furniture, rugs, gift cards donated by area businesses, and this year even a used 2001 Subaru Outback!
The outdoor auction begins at 10:00. The Festival is co-sponsored by the Spring Place Ruritan Club which is celebrating seventy years of service to the community.
Ruritan photographs and memorabilia along with other artifacts from Spring Place history will be on display as well.
Proceeds from the festival will go to Church Preservation Fund of the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society.
Social distancing and other health protocols will be followed.
For more information contact 706-695-2740 or 706-264-3968.
Spring Place is the former county seat of Murray County and second oldest town in North Georgia. The old Methodist church is the oldest existing public-use structure in Murray County.
It began as an Indian Mission in the early 1830s. During the Trail of Tears, the group at Spring Place became a regular congregation. The group first met near the old Moravian Mission on present day Ellijay Street. In 1851, the congregation moved to Elm Street and built a brick structure. This building later burned, and a new wooden church was erected on the same foundation about 1875.
Many events such as homecomings, conferences, revivals and ladies' group meetings highlight the history of the church. The congregation began to decline when the county seat was moved to Chatsworth in 1913. Eventually, a new church was built in 1976. The Whitfield-Murray Historical Society saw the need to preserve and restore the old church.
It was rededicated in 1979 and now houses a museum of church, Spring Place, and Murray County memorabilia. The building is used for historical society meetings and may be rented by other groups for special events and social functions.