The Whitfield-Murray Historical Society was formed in the 1950's as part of an effort to restore the historic Vann House in Spring Place, Georgia. In 1976, following a period of inactivity, the Society was reorganized as a non-profit organization seeking to preserve and document the history of Whitfield and Murray Counties. Much has been accomplished since 1976, and new and exciting things continue to happen with our society. Please browse around. We hope you will consider becoming our newest member! To put it simply, we love our local heritage and want to preserve it so that you can savor its richness as well!
The historical society maintains several local historical properties which would otherwise be in danger of neglect or destruction. Historical society properties include the historical Hamilton House, the Huff House, the Blunt House, and Dug Gap Battle Park in Whitfield County; the Wright Hotel, Chatsworth Depot, and the Spring Place Methodist Church in Murray County, Georgia. The Whitfield-Murray Historical Society is headquartered in the 1890's Crown Cotton Mill office building in Dalton, Georgia. Our headquarters, best known as Crown Gardens & Archives, and more recently called the Whitfield-Murray History Center, serves as a depository for historical records and research material relating to the history of Whitfield and Murray counties.
The archives contain many one-of-a-kind documents that are unavailable elsewhere. Holdings include original ledgers, stock certificates, employee payroll records, and other historic documents relating to area businesses which no longer exist; documents and photos relating to the history of the local chenille and carpet textile industry; genealogical research materials, including local family files, history books, local records, histories of Whitfield, Murray, Gilmer, Catoosa, and surrounding counties; regional marriage and cemetery indexes; and other research material, including the Georgia Death Index on microfiche. Publications of the historical society are also available for purchase at our headquarters.
ACCESSION POLICIES WHITFIELD-MURRAY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Purpose of the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society
The Society is a cultural, educational, non-profit association of individual members and entities interested in and dedicated to the collection, preservation, study,and dissemination of historic information and objects about people, places, organizations, and events in Murray and Whitfield counties.
The Society shall provide for the preservation and accessibility of its holdings in historic buildings, at sites, and through publications. The Society shall cooperate with local, state, and national agencies to collect and preserve materials of broader significance.
Acceptance of materials is limited to those items that have a primary emphasis on the histories of Whitfield and Murray Counties. The Society seeks items that will build on current strengths as well as enhance underrepresented time periods and people.
o A clear record will be kept to document all gifts. o Donors who give items to the Society will fill out the Donor Form, stating the value of items. The Society does not appraise donations for tax purposes. o Acquisitions must have no donor-imposed restrictions for the use of the gift. In some cases, donors may give funds for the maintenance of the gifts. o Each property will have an Acquisitions Committee to evaluate donations. The committee will have three members including the property chair. The headquarters committees will include epresentatives from both counties.
Considerations will include: 1. Does the donation fit the mission? 2. Are we able to provide the proper environment to preserve the item? 3. Do we have space to store the item? 4. Should another WMHS property consider the item for its collection? 5. Would we be better served to sell the item and use the funds for other purposes?
o Currently held items that are not relevant to the mission or cannot be adequately preserved or stored may be de-accessioned by the Accessions Committee.
Sources: Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Association of Museums and Galleries, Georgia Historical Records Advisory Board, and the Hay House museum.